Fantasque Time Line Index du Forum Fantasque Time Line
1940 - La France continue la guerre

FAQFAQ   RechercherRechercher   Liste des MembresListe des Membres   Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs   S'enregistrerS'enregistrer 
 ProfilProfil   Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés   ConnexionConnexion 

Junyo's air group.

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Fantasque Time Line Index du Forum -> 1941 - Discussions
Voir le sujet précédent :: Voir le sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
whiffer

MessagePosté le: Mer Juil 08, 2015 20:32    Sujet du message: Junyo's air group. Répondre en citant

I hope this is the right place to post this. As you know, in the FTL Junyo's air group as of December 6 is stated as 24 A5M4, 8 D3A1 and 18 B4Y1. However in my opinion a much more realistic air group can be crafted, i seriously doubt an aircraft as old as the B4Y would be stationed on Junyo. Speaking from memory, in OTL by late 1941 as many as about 600 B5N1 and 200 B5N2 have been built by Nakajima. However OTL the production was stopped in August 1941 (for reasons that are not entirely clear to me - some say it's poor planning as they hasted to make room for B6N Tenzan production, but that was delayed until 1943, while production of B5N2 only resumed in April 1942 at Hiro and Aichi factories; however i have a sneeking suspicion the stopping of production might have to do with the production of A6M at Nakajima, which started in November, but i don't have any info to support this theory).
But, if we assume that the japanese accelerated/hastened the building of Junyo, Hiyo and Shoho, they will also plan to build the aircraft for them, hence imo, IF my theory about why the B5N production was stopped is not correct, they will built more B5N2s, possibly 2 or 3 months worth of production at about 20-25 a month, until say October. I doubt they can accelerate much the production of D3A and A6M so there could be a shortage of those. But even if they can't built any additional B5Ns compared to OTL, given Junyo's important mission and strong FTL opponents, i believe they will make every effort to equip it with modern aircraft, skimming existing stocks to the limit as much as they can.
Finally, taking into account the OTL organization of japanese carrier air groups, the tactical organization being the 3 plane shotai, and the fact that they usually assigned a number of spares not included in the OPERATIONAL aircraft tally, and the fact that Junyo was rated at 53 aircraft, here's a proposed airgroup:

Kansen: 9 A6M2, 9 A5M4
Kanbaku: 9 D3A1
Kanko: either 18 B5N2, or 9 B5N2+ 9 B5N1, or 18 B5N1.

Total 45 aircraft operational (similar to historical at Santa Cruz battle f.e.). As for spares, for example you can add one each for A6M and D3A (to reflect the shortage of these modern types), and 3 each for A5M and B5N. Total 53 aircraft. You can reduce the number of spares if you want to keep the total number to 50.

Also note, in OTL most of the B5Ns in the light carriers in late 1941/ early 1942 were B5N1 version, not B5N2. Hosho could not carry A6M or B5N because of limited hangar size, this is why she still had B4Y at Midway.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Casus Frankie
Administrateur - Site Admin

MessagePosté le: Mer Juil 08, 2015 22:19    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Well, you may be right.
But please note this has no effect on the events described, as Junyo suffers from severe mechanical problems on the 8 of December. After that, Junyo and her planes, whatever they are, are "out".

"Si l'on n'était pas frivole, la plupart des gens se pendraient" (Voltaire)
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Fantasque Time Line Index du Forum -> 1941 - Discussions Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 1 Heure
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers: